Forum home Talkback

Holly bush with no berries

HI All,

I'm hoping someone out there can give me a bit of advice about my holly bush

(which is rapidly turning into a tree!).  I planted it about eight years ago and every

year upto this year I've had lots of lovely berries - this year I've counted only three!

It's the varigated type with green and gold leaves (no prickles).  Am I right in

thinking it's the male which bears berries?  Beside it is the female (I think) 

which is very prickly but has the same coloured leaves.  I'm at a loss to know

why I don't have berries this year - can anyone help me with this please?

I should say that the problem started in the spring, because there were

hardly any flowers on it, hence no berries.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I never get many, this year only one bush has any and only a few

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

and Silver Queen a male image

l'd love to hear the justification for those two.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,616

Hi Flowersfor bees -  as you say the problem stems from the fact that you had few flowers - I wonder if this could be due to the rotten summer we had before (2012) with hardly any sunshine or warmth to ripen the wood which is needed to produce flowers and fruit?

However, I've seen lots of well-berried hollies around this year and if it was down to weather conditions you'd think it would be a more general problemimage

If you only saw a few flowers it can't be down to the lack of pollinating insects in the cold spring and summer.

I suggest that you make sure there's no grass etc growing around the base of the tree, and then, in February give it a little sprinkling of a high potash fertiliser and make sure it's watered in well.  That should remind it to flower in 2014 image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,549

J C van Tol is I think self fertile so does not need another holly nearby to produce berries. I think it was very cold this year at around the time hollies flowered so there are unlikely to be too many berries.

Did they tear it out with talons of steel
    And give you a shot, so that you wouldn't feel?
    And washed it away as if it wasn't real?
  • it needs a partner ,you have to have a male and female bush unless its a self fertilizing one.

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,257

We have loads of holly berries this year - very few last year - and a bumper crop the year before.  So they do vary quite widely.

Its funny how you never notice the flowers on holly (and I always forget to look)

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • We don't ever get many on ours.

Don't 

know if its an old wives tale, but they say the harsher the winter the more berries