Forum home Problem solving

large/gigantic flower pots

Following a recent watching of Friday nights gardeners world,I have been trying to source the huge plastic pots seen in Monty Dons garden recently being planted up,I would appreciate if anyone could tell me where to buy these very attractive pots.I have tried looking on the Internet but,so far no luck,perhaps someone would ask Monty Don.

Thanks-so-much

• Our local gcs have great selection of pots. Where abouts do you live. There's a place called Pots and pithio (not sure of spelling)  look on the web, i'm sure you'll find itimage

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,480

Hi Madeleine - I've just 'watched again' and I don't think they were plastic - think they were terracotta 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03gmdcj/Gardeners_World_2013_Episode_29//

Lots available out there, at all sorts of prices depending on how frost-resistent they are.  I can't afford hundreds of pounds so I buy the cheaper ones knowing that if the weather gets very cold indeed I'll either have to bubble wrap them or risk them crumbling/cracking.  Putting them up on little feet will help to guard against that happening. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,404

Might need to remortgage the house Madeleine!

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336

I looked at some 'reconstituted stone' pots a while back FG - you are right, £70 to £seriousamountofdosh!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

Crikey Dove image Thems ain't cheap! And will probably be frost damaged within a year!!

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,336

Them's "proper" pots, Dove, at very "proper" prices!image

BTW, I always say "spend as much on the hole as on the plant going in it" but I don't know where to buy plants that expensive!  Hmm, maybe one of those diamond encrusted gold trees which grow in Fairyland?!

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

Think you're supposed to over-winter them in your Orangery image

• Phewww! Dove, you wouldn't want to break one of those!! Thought pots and pithios was bad enough.

• Www.potsandpithoi.com 

Start at quite reasonable prices and go up to hundreds