Forum home Talkback

mildew

I have just been out to check on my rosemary only to find it's covered and I mean covered in mildew dust (looks like it been snowing on the four weeks) so I've sprayed them with some old bug it with mildew remover killer.

What should I do should I quarantine them away from other plants? These were cuttings taken in August?? I transplanted into deep root trainers around 6 weeks ago

James

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,503

Sounds more  botrytis - where are you keeping them?  They need to be drier and have plenty of ventilation.

I wouldn't treat food plants with fungicides.

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Dove sorry I've been to Cinderford for the day Family and all that.

The Rosemary is kept in the Conservatory. Also they are kept at the front of the bench I could take a photo of the ares tomorrow if needed. I have a small window in the Conservatory that I open maybe I should put the plants near the window were I could receive more Ventilation

James

I'd keep them outside in an airy coldframe - they really don't need to be indoors.  image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Add some grit to the potting medium. Rosemary is a sun lover with very good drainage essential.

If you have got botrytis its better to start again, especially if they are softwood cuttings.

• In the bin they will go then

I agree too - what I meant was that in general rosemary cuttings need to be outside. image

• Thanks to everyone who gave me advice on this one I do have some other cuttings on the go so I shall bin the old ones and see if moving the newer one to a coldframe helps any 

again thank you 

Make sure they're well-drained and get plenty of ventlation - they'll be ok in the cold - it's the wet that kills them.