Choosing the correct rootstock

Hi, One side of my house is south facing and gets full sun all day, so I want to plant a peach & an apricot tree there & train them against the house. Is there a rootstock available to safely do this without damaging my foundations while still not being too dwarf? Can anyone help?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,475

Hi Gothic, I'd recommend one I grow myself  "Avalon Pride" on "Mont Clare" rootstock.  It is peach leaf curl resistant and grows to about 2m x 2m.  Mine gives a good crop of full size peaches in a south-facing front garden.  Due to the relatively small size I don't think you need to worry about roots damaging foundations.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thanks for the link Dave, looks like an M9 then.
  • Thanks Bob, I will look around for Avalon Pride .is it self fertile?

Yes Gothic - no other peach trees anywhere near me.  Blossom is very attractive too.

• Thank you Bob, yes peach blossom is lovely , I keep bees & they'll love it. So that's pretty much decided then. Just need to sort out the Apricot now.

Can't help on the apricot but will be keeping an eye on this thread in case anyone recommends one - after one myself. image

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,623

I'm thinking of an apricot and will be taking advice and buying from here  http://www.readsnursery.co.uk/categories/Apricot-Trees/ - they're really helpful and the fruit trees I've had from them have been superb (and I'm not related to them in any way image)

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • Thanks for the link Dove,

There's a couple of varieties I hadn't heard of (Alfred & Glow Fan).

I bought a Morpark in a garden centre sale last winter for a pittance ( big mistake) it was a weak tree & died in mid summer.