Forum home Talkback

silly quotes

Is it you a Lincolnshire thing 

I was all ways told if it was a bumper year for berry's it was going to be a hard winter I think not! As the trees and bushes can't forecast the weather but hay it sounds good also Cows that are lying down before rain can’t forecast the weather they’re just tired of standing up. My wife also quotes this to me every time were out and about in the car LOL

James

• do you have a quote if so tell use about it lest see if we can get to fifty 

James

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 11,962

Ash before Oak we are in for a soak. Oak before Ash we are in for a splash. To do with which leaves emerge first in Spring

Consequences, altered cases
    Broken noses, altered faces
    My ego altered, altered egos
    Wherever I go, so does me go
  • Pukdoc I like that one also thats a new one for me

James

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951
    Great oaks from little acorns grow. School motto.
  • thats Five buy my counting two from me two from Pukdac and one from MrsGarden

that remindes me every day is a school day but not really a quote just a saying I try and live bye

James

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

What's the one about red sky and sailors & shepherds? Never understood that one.

• MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951
    Red sky at night shepherds delight, red sky in the morning shepherds warning . Nit sure about sailors though KEF.
  • Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Ice in November to bear a duck,

Nothing to follow but mud and muck.

This saying was quoted by a contributor to this forum recently, but I can't remember who it was, so my deepest apologies, but I thought it was so good I wrote it down.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916
    MrsGarden wrote (see)
    Red sky at night shepherds delight, red sky in the morning shepherds warning . Nit sure about sailors though KEF.

That must be why I never understood it image Sailors image

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337

"It's gone dark over Bill's mother's" - rain on the way.  A very old saying with origin  completely unknown although there are several (undoubtedly apocryphal) "explanations" to be found on the interweb.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.