Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Making leaf mould

Hi Kate,I have cleared the leave from under my acer that were blown off by the wind Monday morning only to find a Daffodil growing about 25 mm out of the ground,maybe we are in for a mild winter,Oldchippy.

• clkclk Posts: 95

What are these signs? Is it the number of berries?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,559

Plants and animals react to what has been, not what will be. All the 'signs' are in our heads

• It's not a good year for holly berries up on the golf course where I walk my dogs.

Nor in my garden oldchippy. I never have that many, wrong proportion of males and females perhaps, but this year is worse than usual. 

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Its actually a 'Mast' year. This happens due to the weather conditions and natural cycles in plants and trees. They produce more berries and fruit/nuts, than they need to. Its a natural cycle which is not an indicator of what is to come.

Its natures way to regenerate the population.

Nobody told my holly. Perhaps it's not a Mast year for holly. Hawthorn and berberis are good. and the squirrel is spending a lot of time up and down one oak in particular

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,351

Oh, I've seen some brilliant berried holly this year - it always makes my heart sing to see berried holly image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• i cut my peonys back yesterday and i found sticking out of the ground almost 1 centermeter new shoots. hope they will be ok this winter.

• Pyracanthas, malus, cotoneatsters, hazel.... all heaving with fruit in my garden this year. The birds seem to have stayed in the countryside to feed for now so there is lots for them when they do decide to return. Even my feeders are being ignored.

• My Holly is really rocking it this year! Not one raspberry though!?