Broad Bean Protection

Hi Experts

I planted Autumn  broad beans for the first time ever and there are a couple of shoots beginning to show

? Do I leave un protected apart from slug pellets

I have a couple of MIcro Mesh Tunnels or cloches that I can use

Advice please friends

Never change Tigers in Mid Stream

• FleurisaFleurisa Posts: 779

You might need to cover them to protect them from pigeon damage

• I sprinkle slug pellets and then cover the bed with fleece to stop pigeons but also to protect young shoots from any unexpected frosts. The fleece also stops birds eating the slugs now poisoned by the pellets.As the beans grow I raise the fleece up over supports made from old metal coat hangers and peg the fleece down with some ace plastic pegs I found on line, or you can use stones/pieces of timber.Good luck.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,449

I sow Broad bean Aquadulce Claudia every autumn (late Oct/early Nov) - they're never attacked by slugs (fingers crossed that I'm not tempting Providence) and neither do I protect them from frost.  They're perfectly hardy.  They survived a couple of months under snow last winter.  All they need is a it of support in the blustery wind we get here so I use a  cane and some twine for each beanplant as it grows. Had a fantastic crop in May image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I grew mine in small individual pots in the GH last winter and planted them out in February, when it was mild. March was cold, and they sat still. Then they took off and I had my best crop ever. Germination was near100% too.

• I have resorted to placing rigid metal mesh frames over fast-shooting broad beans sown last month in raised beds. The local feral pigeons can be temporarily distracted by seed corn spilt from birdfeeders, but they might return to the tempting greenstuff before too long! [The frames give a growth 'headroom' of about 15cms, so I'll have to think of something else once that height is reached].

• That was also monty Dons' bean of choice so I have then this year too   Other years I have grown them from now and been successful wirth any type of broad bean.   Too cold for slugs and the beans are frost resistant also the flowers are over before the blackfly is around in the spring