Forum home Talkback

Lost the identification label.

I bought a plant a few months back and have lost its label.  It's either a Phormium or a Cordyline.  How can I tell which it is?

• Post leaf pics? 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,438

Phormiums form a clump and Cordylines have a main trunk with the foliage coming from it.

I don't grow cordylines as they're not so hardy up here but these are Phormiums:

http://i1331.photobucket.com/albums/w595/fairygirl55/P6020835_zps1089ae4b.jpg

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• I'm afraid that I haven't got the technology  image

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,745

Love those pots Fairy!

Eynsham Red, think Fairy has sorted out the technology, so you don't need to.  But next time, if you can get a picture on your computer then you can add it in using the tree icon in the bar at the top of your editing box.

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • Thanks FG.  It's a farly young plant and doesn't have an obvious trunk.  Would it be obvious on a young plant?  I guess I'll just have to put it in the GH over winter just to be sure.

• Hi Chicky.  The technology I haven't got is a digital camera.  Lost it last holiday and haven't replaced it yet!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,438

Yes ER. A young /small phormium will look a bit like a fan and is quite solid at the base like an Iris. The cordyline foliage comes out of the trunk like the struts on an umbrella.  image

Thanks chick- they're from Ikea! Had them for years and weren't dear either.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

ER as you suggest put "it" in the GH over winter, won't do it any harm. I've had phormium & cordyline in pots when they were young and have protected them.