Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Netiquette

Netiquette: Good Forum Etiquette

An important term that you should be aware of and know about is "netiquette". This term is a contraction of Internet etiquette, and it's really the etiquette guidelines for posting messages to online services. Netiquette covers not only rules to maintain civility in discussions (i.e., avoiding flames), but also special guidelines unique to the electronic nature of forum messages. In most cases, netiquette is enforced by the forum administrator.  One of the biggest issues facing those unfamiliar with using online forums is that they may not even be aware of what constitutes netiquette. To get you started with using online forums here are some tips to get you started and keep you from being banned on forums;

• Do Stay On Topic. Many people use forums for knowledge gathering as well as social interactions. Forum posts and threads can be read by hundreds or thousands of users, and as such it's important to read the topic of a particular discussion and keep your posts related to that topic. If you are looking for general chat and comments, look in the forums for an off-topic discussion area.
  • Don't Be A Troll. A "troll" is a person who breaks netiquette on a regular basis by posted inflammatory messages (called a flame) when responding to other users in the forums. Trolls are also users who will find older flame-filled threads on a forum and reply to them just to get users worked up again.
  • Do Turn That Caps Lock Key Off. When you type a post in all capital letters you are going to annoy other forum users. Capital letters are viewed as shouting when communicating online, and its considered rude to do.
  • Don't Double Post. When using Internet forums it annoys other users when you post the same message more than once, in more than on discussion thread. If you make a post and no one replies, then leave it at that. Reposting the same message or slightly edited versions of the same message will not earn you any respect from other forum users, and in fact it may earn you warnings from the moderator.
  • Do Search Before Posting. Before posting a question or asking for help on a particular topic, do use the forum search option to make sure this question has not already been asked and answered by other users. Even if your question does not appear in the thread list, it may still be available as an archived topic in the forum.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

nice reminder staceyimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Yes. Hope it doesn't fall on deaf ears nut  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...

just ignore all you don't want. we have a button for it.

• Button pressed wings of a butterfly pulled

Excellent. Never respond, just press. Works for me

• GillyLGillyL Posts: 1,077

Pressed button yesterday,.....what butterfly Stacey?    image

• The blue one Gilly, i've pressed the button too, blue butterfly sent message on hello forkers.

• GillyLGillyL Posts: 1,077

Just a tongue in cheek comment SG Lily,saw blue butterfly ramblings on Hello Forkers.No wish to read any more.

• Sorry Gillyimage

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Butterfly should drink more Tea and leave us alone. I've pressed button.