high winds and greenhouses

I have found I have a bit of a wind tunnel in my garden and have already had a broken greenhouse door. In high winds is it best for me to leave the small windows open or ajart, or close everything completely down?

thanks for any advice

• archiepemarchiepem Posts: 1,156

i would leave open .  good luck

• SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

...I also have a wind tunnel and I shut the whole lot up... I don't know if it's the best thing to do but it's what I feel safer with...I'm afraid something will blow out otherwise..

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,241

I shut everything up as tight as possible, but my garden tends to be protected. I'm more worried about a tree falling on it.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,237

I usualy close up at such times but I don't know if that's the best thing to do

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,476
    fidgetbones wrote (see)

I shut everything up as tight as possible, but my garden tends to be protected. I'm more worried about a tree falling on it.

Too right fidget - doesn't do them any good at all:

That was an 8x6 a few hours before (photo from 17th Oct 2002)  A different viewpoint:

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 2,931

I usually close everything up but have a cracked pane in the GH which has slipped down leaving a gap, was meaning to get it fixed but haven't, hope the wind doesn't take it.

• 4thPanda4thPanda Posts: 4,145

Blimey Bob, that was some damage image Glad I have no trees (well I have a lilac but it shouldn't move) and greenhouse. That said, I would shut up shop and leave nothing open.

• AtillaAtilla Posts: 1,493

Close the doors, windows, vent. A gust in the right direction has the parchute effect and the whole thing can explode. I have seen that happen to soild metal greenhouses. You are advised to site greenhouses in sheltered spots for a reason.

• If you have gaps in your greenhouse you are asking for trouble - the wind races in through the gap and has nowehere to go.  Your greenhouse turns into a big balloon and goes pop!  As well as siting in a sheltered spot you should have your door facing north east as strong winds normally come from the south west.

If I had a greenhouse in a "wind tunnel" of a garden I would erect a windbreak - nothing solid just something to slow down the wind like some reed screening or some trellis with climbers.  On my plot I use scaffolding netting.

• KEFKEF Posts: 8,915

Zoomer any chance you could pack the gap with something and tape it in place?

Fingers crossed it doesn't turn out as bad as predicted.