Figs

Not sure whether this should be on the cookery board but my fig tree is covered in fruits about the size of grapes. I know they're not going to ripen now but does anybody know what they could be used for ? Seems such a same to let them go to waste.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,053

I've not grown figs but I thought they took 2 seasons to be ripe

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,633

The little ones on now may as well be knocked off. New ones will grow in the axils for next year, only the early lot will ripen in this country. Even in my greenhouse, the little ones at this time will not overwinter.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Thanks both. Nutcutlet, do you mean that if I leave them alone they might ripen next summer ? We inherited the tree 4 years ago when we moved into our house, East London, and this is the first year it's had any fruit. I was so excited when they appeared but as the year's gone on they don't seem to have grown any.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,633
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

No they will not ripen.  Figs in warm countries or greenhouses have two crops a year. The second crop which is what you have on your tree now will not ripen except in an exceptional year.  Take any fruit that is reconisable as a fig off or they will drain the tree when they start to grow next year, before they fall off naturally.

Next years figs are tiny at the moment.  High up on the ends of the branches.  About the size of a large match-head.  They will survive the winter to develop next summer.  Look closely and you can see them.

• My mum has a fig tree outside it is in a very sheltered spot with the sun on it, last year she has some small pea size figs that didn't ripen, but this year she has had a fair few goof juicy figs.  I don't think she did any special it was just its location with so much sun on it

• paull2paull2 Posts: 93

Yes, the budding figs have no future and most will drop off over the next few months. Any left in the Spring, I pull off before the real crop begins to show.

• Once the leaves have fallen, it's best to pick off the remaining figs and compost them - I don't think they're good for anything else. Leave any smaller than your thumbnail and get rid of the rest.

• Thanks for the tips everybody. I was rather hoping there might have been some culinary use for these babies but I will now compost them tomorrow and look forward to next summer.