Hedgehogs

Is it too late to make a hedgehog house?  If not, where can I find instructions?

Thank you.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,799

Lots of helpful info here http://www.hedgehogstreet.org/pages/help-hedgehogs.html

We have a bought wooden hedgehog house, and some that we've made ourselves - both types have been used by the hedgehogs.  There are some basics requirements, and it's good if it can have a 'tunnel' inside it to ensure safety from cats, dogs and foxes.  Correct siting is important, so it doesn't fill with water, and is snug and not exposed to the coldest temperatures - but all the info is on imagethe website. 

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,478

I have a hedgehog using an old disgarded flower pot for many years.  It is a large terracotta pot that had broken around the rim and I had turned it upside down and plonked it behind a plum tree.  To my total surprise a hedgehog took in grasses and ferns and set up home which it or it's descendants having been using for many years.  No sign of it hibernating yet this year.

• I have built a hedgehog house and to my suprise it now has an inhabitant! we have 3-4 hedgehogs in the garden per night, they are eating dog food, mealworms, chopped nuts and fresh water.My question is ... when do we stop feeding them, as the one in the box only seems to be eating the food near the box and then returning to the box. We dont want to interfere with the hibernation

They won't hibernate properly until the weather gets quite a bit colder - but it seems that your hedgehog has bagsied your box image 

Don't stop feeding them until the weather is really cold and they have stopped visiting the feeding stations for a week or so.  The longer they keep feeding in the autumn the better able they will be to survive a long hard winter.  They'll hibernate when the weather and their bodies tell them to - feeding them won't stop it happening. image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • Just a quick question how big a gap in the fence do hedgehogs need to get in to your garden?

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 19,776

Don't think it has to be too big UW. About 6" or so. I'm sure someone will correct that if i'm miles out! My problem is that b****y cats come in as well through the gaps I leave under the trees. image I've got a nice quiet little corner by the shed so I'm hoping I might get a visit from one now and again.

to walk through a forest is to touch the past

• archiepemarchiepem Posts: 1,156

urban wildlife  . are you in cheshire image

I'd say 6" x 6" is fine  - our builder cut a little archway image, and built some steps and ramps for the Shady Bank  - yes cats come through too, but pretty warily as I might be the other side !!!  

• Thanks to Fairygirl and Dovefromabove, thats great thanks.

Archiepem, born and lived in Cheshire for many years before moving to Rochdale.

• its never too late to build a hog house. please re-site bonfires before lighting, they are very tempting homes for hogs. they only hibernate because there is no natural food so sometimes dont if food is available particularly if they havent gained sufficient weight. if you see one during the day contact your nearest wildlife rescue as a matter of urgency there will be something badly wrong with it.