Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Wasps

Richard 'Bugman' Jones on the art of "how to get yourself and your family stung by wasps".
«1

Posts

  • I like to dip my fingers in beer and let the wasps come to me to drink from my hand. Gorgeous little things. Go Bugman!
  • GillyLGillyL Posts: 1,077

    I like mine to drink from a jar with a  little jam, half full of water and a lid with holes big enough for them to get in but not out.......and drown.

    They ruin outdoor eating and their sting is really painful  ....image

  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 3,434
    Don't try this at home. Every year, I remember that I don't really mind badgers in the garden when they dig out any wasps' nests and eat all the contents.
  • They may be beautiful and are certainly useful, but to some of us they are deadly. I had anaphylactic shock the last time a wasp stung me. Ronnie
  • Definately do not try this at home, unless it is with someone skilled like 'Bugman'. I wasn't afraid of wasps until my early twenties when I zipped one up in the back of a dress, now at 59 I go into monir panic when ever one comes near. If a small chile gets stung just once it could make them afraid of wasps for life. Funn though because I will quite happily let a hornet land on my hand and watch it until it decides to leave, now there is a very handsome creature.
  • Oops sorry I meant to say that I got stung 3 times in almost the same spot and I must proof read better before hitting submit: - minor, child and funny not monir, chile and funn

  • ginagibbsginagibbs Posts: 756

    leave a bin liner of dead leaves around, guarenteed nesting distination for most agressive wasps got stung 3 times,    little B*@x**s!!!

  • I bought one of those Grey fleecy bags which look like a wasp's nest when hung up in the garden.  The theory is that wasps never build a nest close to one already in existence.  It has worked so far, and I haven't even hung it up yet!!!

    Seriously, the idea of luring any animal to it's death is cruel, especially when they may not have even come near without the bait!!!

  • What a foolhardy thing to do!! What happens if a child tries this after your 'lesson' gets stung and reacts? I am highly allergic to wasps stings and it takes two epipens to get me out of danger. I would not want anyone, especially a child to go through this. Teach them to leave wasps alone and in peace so that they are not frightened into stinging.
  • Rosemary Smith, are you referring to my comment?  I think the faux wasp nest is an extremely good idea, but having been ill most of this summer I haven't got around to hanging it up. The rest was a joke.

    I was taught when I was young not to antagonise them, with the result that I have never been stung, but I think the autumn is particularly dangerous because the poor things are dying and drowsy and can sting if accidentally picked up with fallen fruit or leaves.

    If these things are explained to children quietly and calmly I'm sure they would take note. Certainly neither of my sons have been stung and they are both animal lovers now they are adults.

Sign In or Register to comment.