Forum home Wildlife gardening

Must have natives?

Has anyone got any ideas for any native plants that I should include in the garden next year?  We moved in this April and the garden was mainly lawn, native hedge and a couple of extablished trees (silver birch and hawthorn) but since then I have been planting fruit trees and adding to the native plants by adding sloe and field maple etc. I've got nothing against non-natives just nothing too exotic as it doesn't seem to fit with the existing garden.

• My personal favourites for planting at the hedge base are primroses, violets and snowdrops.

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,339

I like harebells and red campion,and the wild type foxgloves.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Mrs GMrs G Posts: 336

We get those wild dog violets I think they are and I've planted a whole load of the 'alba' foxglove in the shade of the hedge for next year.  I've got some primroses near the pond which reminds me I could split those.  Would definitely like to add some harebell, they look like fairy hats!

• Ox-eye daisy are a good bet, Honesty looks good as well. Welsh poppies are easy and come in shades of orange and yellow.   Have a look at what grows locally always a good bet.

UW.

• Mrs GMrs G Posts: 336

Ooh I'd like to have some honesty because the seeds pods are interesting.  The neighbouring gardens are mostly very manicured or left totally to long grass and overgrown apple trees I prefer the more engineered wilderness effect!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MrsGardenMrsGarden Posts: 3,951
    Have not yet read the above posts but just thought you should know its not me !
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,456

Hello MrsGarden- very confusing as I always call you MrsG!! Lovely to 'see' you image

Harebell is lovely - and vastly overlooked as a plant I think.

Very handy for me if I need a hat when I go out too image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

scabious and knapweed are pretty and good bee plants. Lots of 'weeds' are important food plants for larvae. Ragwort for the Cinnabar moth for example.

• comfrey,very good for the garden and if your brave you can eat it!a crab apple tree,Hazel tree,medlery tree,elder,and quince.image