Forum home Talkback

Moruga scorpion chilli

In late spring or early summer I was given a couple of seedlings,obviously far too late to do anything, but I potted them on regardless, they remained about 6 or 7 cms. tall for months, then in about August they started to grow, and attained a height of about 20 or so cms. They have developed bunches of buds in the last few weeks.

What I want to know, is, if I bring them into the conservatory, instead of losing them in an unheated greenhouse, will they grow on next year, or should I scrap them now?

Thank-you,

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,270

I'm no expert, but I'd jolly well give it a go - I think you'd have to be on your guard against whitefly, but what've you got to lose?

However, Stacey and Italophile and others will know more than me image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

I agree with Dove, I think you can keep chillies going overwinter in a conservatory, but you need Stacey the chilli monster on the case & Italophile.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,270

Bumping in case the chilli-heads are around this morning image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 10,206

Not an expert myself, but i have been told recently that you can keep chilli plants going from year to year by bringing them inside.  Never get mine going early enough to ripen in my unheated ghimage

The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page  - St Augustine
  • Chicky,

Plant your seeds no later than end of first week in february, I do this every year,

I get bumper crops of ripe chillies from mid-september onwards by doing this, at the moment I have one plant left that was a lot slower than the others, absolutely loaded with ripe red fruit.

Thanks for the advce and comments, will post progress when it happens.

derek.