Forum home Talkback

Talkback: How to plant out leeks

I have bought a pot of leek seedlings. Should I pot them on before planting out?

• moomoo Posts: 1

imagealright geez imageimage

• When to plant young leeks
  • I have lots of very small leeks that I planted out last year, didn't thin out and so I left in over the winter. They all have very good roots on them so I wondered it I could thin them out and re-plant them this year. If so, when should I do this and what depth of soil would be ideal to obtain large leeks?
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,897

Colcos, you could pot them up and grow on until the soil is warm enough to put them out.

Brenda, normally we plant ours in early May when the soil is warm here. In milder areas you can do it earlier.

Jennie, saldly no matter what you do, those leeks will go to seed now. Best would be to eat them before that happens.

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619

I grew leeks for the first time last season, (which as I'm sure we all remember wasn't the best...). Anyway, I thought I'd failed as they aren't as big as the shop bought ones...but the flavour is fantastic! So pleased, definitely do them again.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,897

Sure do.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,548

Did I read somewhere that you just spike a hole in the ground, deep, and drop the leek plant in and leave it loose! perhaps I dreamt that.  Any ever heard of that?

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619

Yes, that's often advised and you fill the hole with water afyer popping the seedling in. I think it's meant to reduce the amount of soil that gets worked in between the layers of leaves. Must say I didn't do that (maybe that's why I got tiddly leeks...I squished 'em). image

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,548

Yes, I thought I had seen it somewhere, this will be my first year of growing some veg, never thought it worth the money and effort when you can buy a huge bag of carrots for £1. etc. Although, runner beans are definitely worth it at 8 beans  for a £1.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

I did that as it was first time I had grown them, still have 3 left to pull out. Apparently the deep hole is to do with getting white stems