Forum home Fruit & veg

What new veg varieties have you tried?

2»

• No expertNo expert Posts: 415

Sowed "Best of All" Swede this year, Fine large roots Taste very sweet. Used to sow "Brora" but these are a lot nicer.

• PlashingPlashing Posts: 238

Greenjude 

You can cut back cucamelon like you do with dahlias and store them in a shed coverd with straw and then plant them next year when fear of frost has gone if you watch beechgrove garden on sunday morning you will find out 

• mar61mar61 Posts: 1

I grew  aubergines this year........started in greenhouse then outside..........fantastic cropping.

• We grew tomato Ferline F1 this year also swiss chard fantasy F1both very tasty

• have had the best crop of runner beans moonlight fantastic also have grown a tomato called celion every tmato has ripend and onley grown in a plastic grow house melvyn willetts cradley heath west midlands

• I grew Chinese Celery this year. I've never had much success with normal celery but these grew really well. Started off in cells then planted out. No trouble at all and still growing strong. Not really for eating raw but they have a lovely strong celery flavour for cooking. It makes lovely soups. I'll certainly be growing this again.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,498

Runner beans Wisley Magic, second year running - fabulous - a heavy crop of long straight beans, virtually stringless with a proper runner bean flavour.

Courgettes - wlll grow yellow Parador again next year as they cropped really well last year.  This year's Soleil were a disappointment.

Swiss Chard Lucullus - far superior to the glamourous coloured chards, both for cropping and flavour.

Old favourite broad beans Aquadulce Claudia - overwintered well in long snowy weather, so reliable with such a good flavour, and a good crop even after a cold  spring. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• rocollrocoll Posts: 12

what is the best way to store runner beans.freeze. or dry.

• Thanks so much for all of your responses so far. It's great to hear how many of you are trying out new varieties. Please do keep posting new vegetable varieties that you've tried and liked. I'm keen to get as many responses as possible, to make the feature as comprehensive as I can.

Thank you.

Catherine Mansley 

• ginagibbsginagibbs Posts: 756

I tried Kohl Rabbie this year, loved it as a coleslaw in salad or boiled in soups, very easy to grow and you can cook toe leaves like cabbage.