What new flower seeds are you going to grow in 2014

punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 5,246

Sitting here on a horrible wet day, so am looking through the seed catalogues and I wondered what new seeds forumers were going to grow next year. I must say a piece of cake would help the decision making. Nevermind spicy meatballs for tea and a warming bottle of red

And you've been so busy lately that you haven't found the time 
To open up your mind And watch the world spinning gently out of time

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,256

I had decided I wouldn't grow so many plants from seed next year. There's still hundreds waiting to be planted now. But then the seed swap comes round and off I go again. I've already started and there are seedlings. Digitalis grandiflora and a white mallow, both up. Several other sown.

Now I think I'll have a look at a few seed companies. Plant World seeds,  Derry Watkins,  Chiltern. That will do for a start. 

• I've been buying seed for about 3 months now and they are all stored in the garage fridge I must get them out and have a look at what I’ve got

I did collect some from my Dahlia so that will be exciting just to see what colour they come out at

James

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 19,776

Pd - I'll be round later with a cake image

Foxgloves for me I think. And more veg possibly.

to walk through a forest is to touch the past

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,256

Have a look James, you may have got some that need sowing now

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,125

I normally buy plug bedding plants from a mail order firm but next year I thought I'd grow more from seed. I was in the big garden centre in Newhaven in September and bought lots, including the Ladybird poppies we'd seen when we visited Great Dixter in June. They looked stunning. Bought mustard and cress too as they don't sell it in France then I gave it to my grandson last weekend. Must get some more in November when we go back to the UK.

We had steak Diane (very 70s! yum) and a warming bottle of red. Rained all day.

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 7,199
    Cleome - they look fab, and i had no idea you could grow them from seed. And some more lupins - never liked them before, but am now a convert
    The Stone Age didn’t end because they ran out of stones ......
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,504

Haven't decided yet (just getting the catalogues in for the usual nights of Winter browsing - it's not quite the same doing on the web!)  I usually grow hardy perennials, shrubs and trees from seed which can be quite challenging but very rewarding as the natural variation you get in seed sown plants can produce unique specimens.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Seed I have in my fridge to date

Lobelia “Monsoon” Trailing

Sow       January-April

Parsley “Italian Giant Flat Leaf”

Sow       April

Basil “Genovese” (Ocimum Basillicum)

Sow       April

Mountain Cornflower “Centaurea Montana” Hardy Perennial

Sow       August

Cornflower “blackberry Fizz”

Sow       Mar-May                            Flowers                                June-September

Cherry Tomato “Cerise”

Sow        March-April                       Harvest                                June-October

Radish “Sparkler 3”

Sow       March-September          Harvest                                April-October

Parsley “plain Leaved 2”

Sow       January-December         Harvest                                January-October

Tarragon “Russian”

Sow       March-May                        Harvest                                May-October

Sunflower “Autumn Time”

Sow       March-May

Onion “spring” Ishikura

Sow       March-July                          Harvest                

• Sweet Corn “sparrow F1”

Sow March-May                               Harvest                                August-September

Onion “spring White Lisbon”

Sow March-September                 Harvest                                March-September

Californian poppy “single Mixed”

Sow March-May OR June-October

Wallflower “single Mixed”

Sow April-July                                    Flowers                                March-May

Hollyhock “Nigra Single”               

Sow March-May

Canterbury Bell “Cup and saucer Mix”

Sow April-June

Gazania “sunshine Mixed”

Sow February-April

Michaelmas Daisy “aster novi-belgil mixed

Sow Not known

Thyme “purple Creeping” Thymus Serpyllum”

Sow April

Carnation “violets”

Sow April I think

Sweet Pea “Lathyrus Odoratus, Black Knight”

Sow December

Chilli “Serrano”

Sow February-May                         Harvest                               

Tomato “Sun gold F1”

Sow March-April

Tomato “Sun Cherry F1”

Sow March-April

Mexican Hat “Ratibida

&

• Mexican Hat “Ratibida

Sow Not Known

Malva Sylvestris “Zebrina”

Sow Not Known 

As you can see by my list some of the information is incomplete, I would be gratefully of guidance also advice.

I think I have some more seeds hiding some were I will add them when I find them all so would anyone like the Malva as I bought this and the found out they are a very high plant.

James