Forum home The potting shed

Gardeners World

• Hello Devon Gardener,

We understand it's Friday 9th March. In the meantime do enjoy our video projects:

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/projects/video-projects/

If you use our new search facility (white box at the top of the page) you can match your viewing up with what you want to find out about.

Emma

gardenersworld.com team

• perfect birthday present for me image

• I love my garden....not the best of gardeners I admit, but Monty Carol and Joe inspire me to try new plants, look at new ways to lay out my garden and just enjoy what does grow and not to get too upset about my failings, as there is always next year to try again. Just can`t wait for the new series in March but in the meantime I enjoy my magazine and am purchasing lots of new and adventurous plants and scrubs as I grow in confidence. The weekly tips are great too.....helps me keep up to date with jobs around my grden and its easy to check what needs doing. Keep up the good work.

• FonzieFonzie Posts: 32

Am a great fan of GW too. Used to watch a lot of other gardening progs on Sky channels, but since getting rid of Sky, I only have GW to watch these days, so it is paramount that I catch them!

• I really enjoy watching GW. I find Monty very easy to watch and inspiring too. Please show more of Nigel - perhaps he could write a blog? No garden is complete without a pet or two.

• Hi - I think GW is a "must view" but what about tone-ing down the incessant "gushing" from all the presenters!

Everything is their favourite, the best, absolutely wonderfull, amazing etc etc. After a while it's condescending and valueless. Less gushing, more facts.

• I love GW but agree with Chancy and Eddie. Gushing is OK but you can overdo it. I do like Monty and Rachel, but I still miss their precessors, can't remember their names. Anybody know why they were replaced? I also think they could do a little less fancy camera work and a take a little longer shots on certain things, such as the supports that Rachel made for the sweet peas. Also, in the last program, I was really frustrated that Carol did not answer the question from the lady they featured who wanted to know what kind of compost to use. They use too loosely the term, because Carol did breezily mention that it should be sterile, for example, for seeding, and later on in the same program, Monty mentioned that for some other seedlings the compost could be "richer." Now the problem could be solved if there would be a compost corner on this website, but I cannot find one.

• burhinusburhinus Posts: 58

Hi SwissSuze, I have just started a compost thread under 'Tools and Techniques'.  Hope it gets a good response for you.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,496

If you have satellite TV or Freeview you can probably get Beechgrove which is on BBC2 Scotland on Thursdays.  If you live in the UK you can get GW and Beechgrove on i-player for the week after transmission.

I would love to see Beechgrove available across the UK as its format and content are different from GW and full of practical advice and trials to evaluate plants, techniques and products.   I'd also like to see more gardening on TV.

In the past we used to get series broadcast in winter to keep us going - thinks like How to Be a Gardener and GH's series on Paradise Gradens and Ornamental Kitchen Gardens.  We've had series on small graden design, front garden design, Hidden Gardens, Flying Gardener and many more from excellent presenters such as Chris Beardshaw, Alan Titchmarsh, Gay Search, Helen Yemm.  i don't see why we can't have more now.  It would make such an interesting change to the wall to wall antiques and bric-à-brac prgrammes that currently litter the daytime and early evening slots.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Hello SwissSuze,

We don't have a 'compost corner' as such, but we do have plenty of projects and articles about making compost. There's a good list of ingredients in our basics project.

You'll find instructions on how to build a bin, and tips on making leafmould. If you'd like to find anything else you can type the word into our search box.

Enjoy it!

Emma

gardenersworld.com team