Wildflower ID help

Hi.

Can anyone identify this plant about 3 foot tall by 3 foot across growing in full sun on well drained  ground

Cheers

UW

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,986

I think that it is some sort of Eupatorium. Flowers are loved by insects, can be a bit invasive and in my bog garden it grows to about 6 feet tall and i love it.

You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand
    The things you think are precious, i don't understand
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,117

I agree with Punkdc image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Thanks, might give it a miss if it's invasive but a beatiful plant .

UW

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,135

Take a walk along the  Wirral Way behind Parkate and you will see how invasive it can be where suited.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,021

I don't find it runs much in my soil, I only have a bog garden in the dormant season. But it does seed everywhere if it gets a chance.

• I love it and want some! Does it come in white?

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

It looks a bit like himalayan balsam to me, or very similar but may not be as its usually taller with hollow stems. If it is get rid, its a pernicious imported weed from the victorian era which is fast becoming and enviromental disaster on any wet ground and on our waterways.

• there was an article on this plant on last weeks gardeners world with carol klein - someone grows many different varieties of it -joe pie weed. (not the guy that gows it!! - sorry I'm a bit tired) It grows randomly in my garden too - in amongst my varigated wigelia in particular. I think it likes the support!!

• Definately not Himalayan Balsom plenty of that  round here flower configuration is very different this has platelets of flower similar to achillea.

Cheers

UW

• Lion SLion S Posts: 263

UW, this one is called Eupatorium cannabinum, Hemp-agrimony. It's a common native plant throughout Europe.

Stacey, they should come in white too (E. can. 'Album'). They are quite hard to find but otherwise you could also try E. perfoliatum.