Issues with hedge trimmers

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone else has problems with using a long reach hedge trimmer for a long period of time. I find them very heavy and have to take regluar breaks. Does anyone have a solution for this? Are there any lightweight petrol trimmers or good back harness to use?

• jolyonjolyon Posts: 5

ok cheers for that information,

but what would you recommend for all day use of a more heavy duty petrol trimmer?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,565

If you're going to be regularly using a heavy duty petrol trimmer all day for a period of time I'd go to the gym and ask one of the trainers for some exercises to build up your back and shoulder strength, otherwise you're going to be in pain.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 28,021

We had a battery one for all the hedges at last house but it was tough doing more than an hour at a time even though it was quite lightweight. It's holding it at that awkward angle image The petrol ones will be very heavy to use long term.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• jolyonjolyon Posts: 5

Do you feel that if a suitable harness was to be designed and made to allow the user to fully use the hedge trimmer but would support the weight of the trimmer, this would help?

• Have a look at the Stihl Super Harness, it is quite expensive but it does the trick

• You can get a hedge trimmer which has the engine on a backpack so you only have to hold the shaft. Have not used it myself but might be worth checking it out 

• kyle 873kyle 873 Posts: 1
    Have you ever used one of the Gtech Hedge Trimmers? Their big thing is that everything is well balanced. Gtech seems to design things to stop fatigue and aches after prolonged use. Having said that as good as they are they are no match for a petrol hedge trimmer!
  • glasgowdanglasgowdan Posts: 630
    edited March 2018
    You do actually get a metal arm support that straps to a harness on your back/hips and sticks forwards. You clip the trimmer to it and it takes all the weight off your arms. I have forgotten the name but am trying to find it.

*** The Easy lift harness! (I didn't say it was cheap)