Forum home Plants

Overwintering lilies

13»

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,805
    Lilies can be prone to vine weevils. The larvae are little white maggots that chew the roots.  You can use nematodes, or tip them out, and repot in clean compost. The blackbirds look to eat the larvae. If you tip the compost onto black plastic, they will roots through it and clean it up. You can then use the old compost as a mulch under shrubs.
    You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 14,805
    Sorry, that is love to eat. Typo. What happened to the edit function?

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Thank you I  think they must be vine weevil. I did pick them out of the compost but they were also in the bulb and didn't manage to save many
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 22,691
    Fidget - it's the little cog wheel in the top right of your post.  Click that and it'll tell you how long you have left to edit a post.  Still one hour max which is plenty.

Have never - touch wood - had vine weevils in my lilies but will look out for them now, just in case there are some about.   I leave lily stalks on till they're ready to fall off and sometimes that's long after I've stashed the pots away from the worst of the winter frosts so they then stay till spring. 

Depending on how long they've been in the pots I either tip out and re-pot in fresh compost after picking out any bulbils to grow on or else I top dress and give a slow feed before watering and putting somewhere warm and sheltered.  They only go somewhere prominent for their flowering period and then I dead head and put them somewhere quiet to grow on next year's bulb power.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • BijdezeeBijdezee BPosts: 1,331
    edited October 2018
    I always make sure mine have dry compost  whilst overwintering to avoid rot, especially if there's a hard frost or snow and they might freeze. I let the stalks go brown and put them in the shed. In spring I refresh the compost and repot and some feed. 
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,344
    If mine are in the ground, I try to plant them near a house wall where it's drier, or, failing that, they have loads of grit in the planting hole mix. Then - they have to get on with it.
    I have some in a border which is permanently moist, but they have lots of other planting to provide competition, so they obviously don't get too soggy. So far anyway!
    Never had vine weevil damage on lilies either, but I do have a bit of an infestation of them, so perhaps it'll happen at some point. I've recently lifted a stand of dark red ones, to split them up, and the bulbs look very healthy.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....