Forum home Plants

Overwintering lilies

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,344

With the mild winter KT it may even be the new shoots beginning to appear. They can be quite reddish. A pic would help identify them though if you can manage it. It won't do any harm leaving the stalks on.  If you're worried about drainage with all the heavy rain, try moving them nearer a house/shed/garage wall to keep the worst of it off, or giving them shelter from other plants if that's not possible. Getting the pots clear of the ground is good advice. All these things will help prevent saturation.  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Don't worry about the dead stems KT they will do no harm. Cut them back with the secateurs if you want.

Surprised  no one had suggested back in Autumn popping them in the ground to   naturalise. 

Baby bulbs are a bonus. When transplanting lilies I am always happy to pop them in around the parent bulbs to bulk up and give future flowers a year to two hence!

• Hi, I lifted some lilies', last autumn as they had been pots for 3 yrs. They overwintered quite well. Stored in cool dry, place in house,  Some have rotted significantly. The others were very soft but not rotted when recently planted. Will they survive. Thanks.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 65,303

Hard to tell petunia blue; I'm afraid you'll just have to wait and see if they come up - let us know how it turns out image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• thanks - will let you know

• Hi guys I'm resurrecting this thread cos my willies are in the ground and one even has a new flower on it  image they have lots healthy leaves . Can I leave them in the ground  or do really have to dig them up as I would rather not if it could be helped.  Also if I cut them back and mulch will I get away with it .?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 35,344

Did you mean lilies primrose? image

I always leave mine in the ground. Best to leave the foliage to die back naturally though to feed the bulb for next year. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Whoopsimage image predicted text  image

Guess I'll do the same fairygirl (I'm quite fed up with that bed at the moment  it looks a mess whatever I try ) 

I've only two pots Verdun  so might bury them with the others  cos GH space is at a premium  only got 6x8  

Thanks for advise both image

• I also had beautiful oriental lilies last year in pots. Repotted them this year and found them full of maggot like insects. Any idea what these are and how can I avoid them next year?