Idea's please on my little plot

Made myself a little area in my front garden and looking for planting idea's please,not a massive area but want to brighten the front up with a mix of shrub and perennials.It's in the shade for most of the day but gets a few hours of light late afternoon.I've dug out a lot of crap soil and added some good topsoil and multi purpose compost.

• Tina_i_amTina_i_am Posts: 177

My front garden sounds a bit like yours, north facing. In it I have hosta's, dwarf conifers and geraniums, also an azalea where the most sun is caught. I also have bark chip to keep the weeds down.

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 11,255

Foxgloves, astilbes, helleborus, ferns and Japanese anemone like the shade also clematis  image 

• CoysCoys Posts: 85

Yeah was thinking of growing a clematis between the door and window but not sure which one and how? Foxgloves i like the sound of,would you sow them at the front or the back?

• Coys Foxgloves I think will take two years to flower so i would buy them from the GC just think about the wind with tall plants at the front I have planted so comfrey in a big pot at the front and its getting kick around by the wind.

I didnt think the wind was that bad at the front of my home but it is 

James

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 11,255

Have a look on the web for plants for shade. You could grow a clematis up an obelix. 

• As i thought "quote from the telegraph by carol 

Digitalis purpurea is a biennial, seeding freely when happy. Since it does not produce flowers (nor, therefore, seeds) until its second year, you must plant them two years running to have foxgloves every summer

James

Thanks all for your advice

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 19,717

I've had many north or north west facing gardens. In addition to the ones lily mentioned, Solomon's Seal, Polemonium (Jacob's Ladder), Potentilla, Aquilegia, Vinca, Heuchera, Tiarella and Pachysandra all grow in shade. Depending on soil (neutral /acidic) you can have Azaleas, Rhododendrons, Pieris and Camellias. Foliage shrubs like Euonymous grow virtually anywhere adn Mahonias are great in shade. image

Thanks Verdun,what would that clematis look like when not flowering does it look a mess and would it be easy to manage?