Laying in the bath plotting...

I'm laying in the bath plotting what I want to do with my back borders next year. I have a small garden so always favoured compact flowers but this year I bought a lynchs or some such, red scabious, my own gayser gaura cuttings, astrantia major, verbena and tall lobellia abs shoved them in and they look great.

so our challenge, what flower has flowered throughout whole season or added interest and would be valuable to anyone's garden. Pls include rough size guide.

i would recommend gayser gaura mine is white, about 80cm tall and 60 wide. Small flowers but has gone right thru all season and still looks stunning. Very easy to take cuttings from and replace next year as this appears to be a tender perennial.

please share your most valuable reliable long interest plant

• little-annlittle-ann Posts: 879

ping

• izzy8izzy8 Posts: 79

I have Astrantia Sunningdale variagated. Lovely foliage in the early part of the year, then the flowers and now the seedheads, there has been something to see since about late March.  

• Dwarf cosmos - forget the tall ones, they have only just startedflowering! The little ones have flowered their hearts out all summer and are still going strong!

• hollie hockhollie hock Posts: 3,344

I love my rudebekias, grew some last year and they survived the winter so added some cappuchino types and some sweet little totos, small and pretty and have been flowering for ages. Lovely flowers for late summer, autumn

• I had tall cosmos and that has been flowering since about July! But it's huge!!!

variagated astrantia, interesting! I love the form and shape of these, interesting even when not in flower

• I'm at my farthers steeling seeds. Rudabekkia the yellow daisy type

oh also this year someone bought me 2 lythrums, robin and a dwarf type. Both incredible plants and lovely.

robyn lythrum about 120cm and the dwarf one about 60cm

• XX Posts: 707

I've got a large patch of Heliopsis Scabra that has flowered its socks off all summer.  Just collected some seed.   It sure of the variety but it's a double yellow type, about 5ft tall.