Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Snakes in the garden

happymarionhappymarion Posts: 4,591
I have lots of slow worms in my compost "Daleks", Kate. The bins are plastic but keep very warm with decomposing matter in them and seem perfect habitat for the slow worms. They are of all sizes and I shall measure the longest for you when the bins have to be emptied when my raised beds are built. There will be a corrugated sheet nearby for the slow worms to shelter under till the bins are repositioned. They are such beautiful creatures, really iridescent in the sun.

• I recently got news of a snake in One Tree Hill, Honor Oak. In the middle of urban London, this would have been very exciting. Except it turns out to be a big (1-metre) black and yellow banded beast as thick as a rolling pin. It's likely to be a North American King Snake. I had a quick look last week, but found nothing by bashing about in the brambles.
  • Lovely to see your avatars, Richard and Marion! Hopefully lots of others will follow suit soon.

happymarion - I look forward to discovering the length of your longest slow worm!

Richard - please keep us posted on the king snake.

Kate
  • steephillsteephill Posts: 2,841
    I also have lots of slow worms in my "Dalek" compost bins - clearly a favored habitat. A few photos here http://www.pbase.com/steephill/garden.

I also found a grass snake living alongside the slow worms in the bin which surprised me!
  • @steephill Lovey photos, and lucky you having so many living in your compost bins!

Kate
  • happymarionhappymarion Posts: 4,591
    My goodness, aren't they great photos! I'll never get ready for Xmas visitors at this rate when such sites are pointed out to me!!!
  • sterelitzasterelitza Posts: 109
    Do grass snakes eat snails. I found lots of empty snail shells near my dalek compost bin and wondered what had caused this.