Welcome to the potting shed

• cilmericilmeri Posts: 116

Derek Hi, Many thanks for this...extremely useful. image

Sizing up the border as we speak, Looks lik;ey to be sunday before I can make a start.

• cilmericilmeri Posts: 116

image Rosa, Hi, your method is the way i usually do it but as i want to plant soon(ish) i think that 'burying' the compost will suit better this time paticularly as it is a full lenth border.Will avoid disturbing the soil again for other plantings.

• Hi all, I'm a newbie, but already given out my pen'orth! 

Did you watch GW this evening?  I was astounded to watch Monty Don turn a potted plant out into his hand and just plant it in the hole, back fill and walk off.  The plant was really pot-bound, just a mass of roots and he did not cut/break open the sides/base at all, he dropped the plant in (no base dressing I suspect but maybe bed was recently treated to his chicken manure) and left it, no watering to get rid of air pockets, and to get good root contact.  I missed what the plant was but as an example to beginners/learners of how to plant I think it was far short of a model method.

• Welcome, Salli. Watched GW yesterday with half an eye because it did not seem that inspiring. I'll watch it again on Sunday morning when I'm more alert. Perhaps I was just tired.

I'm more interested in the Welsh spelling of your name, Salli. Your background sounds really interesting and I see that you live in Wiltshire.

• zinnia66zinnia66 Posts: 6

Is it safe to plant Busy Lizzies this year, until three years ago when they all died within a week, because of a desease affecting them, i used to have lovely pots of them. Now i can't find out if it is now safe to plant them again.

• zinnia66 wrote (see)

Is it safe to plant Busy Lizzies this year, until three years ago when they all died within a week, because of a desease affecting them, i used to have lovely pots of them. Now i can't find out if it is now safe to plant them again.

They do not seem to be on sale in the usual big outets again this year but are still available by mail order

If you are raising your own it just depends if the downy mildew returns.image

• zinnia66zinnia66 Posts: 6

no they are not selling them in B & Q and other places the same but they are selling them in the gardening mags, i have had a few mags sent to me and all have got them in for sale, i got in touch with one of the mags about them but all the info they could give me was to check if other gardeners in my area  are still having problems with them. they assured me that the plants they were selling were fine, but if there was still a problem in my area, weston super mare, they could still die off.

• Jumbo56Jumbo56 Posts: 23

Hi all, don't know whether this is the right page to post this...but I have recently cleaned out greenhouse ready for 2013's tomato and cucumber abundance, and have now put all the spent compost in compost bin after removing the new compost for this years greenhouse...don't ask me how I did this, the logistics were incredible...however, what I don't know is how long before I can reuse this spent compost, as it looks like compost rather than kitchen/garden scraps...my other query is that my hubby refuses to change from Tetley teabags, which I find annoyingly uncompostable, and have resorted to taking the one worm from each bag, and putting the composted tea in the compost and throwing the bag away.  Does anyone else have problems with tea bags, or is it something peculiar to my compost?  One other thing folks, I shred twigs etc., also collect leaves for leaf mould and along with healthy amount of de-teabaged compost, can I combine the three for the ultimate potting mixture or should I use the three independently of each other?  Thanks for any advice forthcoming.  Cheers folks and happy gardening.

• I also have problems with tea bags not composing and some of them may be Tetly.  When I spread the compost on the garden I tend to rake it over and collect up anything that looks as if it hasn't rotted well and either throw it back into this years compost for another go or put it in our 'Green Bin' for collection by the council.  This waste goes to be composted commercially which probably generates greater heat and breaks down material quicker. 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 14,254

I thought tea bags had some sort of plasticy stuff in them to stop the bag disintegrating when boiling water was poured on them. I don't bother composting them any more.

Dordogne and Norfolk