Welcome to the potting shed

• little-annlittle-ann Posts: 878

south lake districtimage

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    Small town/ big village on the southern edge of Dartmoor.
  • Paul NPaul N Bearsted, KentPosts: 300

Hi peeps. North Kent on the Downs. Chalky soil. I've just finished reading Vita Sachville-West's Garden Book. Quite an enjoyable read. Figrat, My ancestors came from near Dartmoor - Harberton, Harbertonford and Dartmouth, ten generations of farmers, before my grandfather left for the London Docks and Kent.

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    I know all those places Paul. I've done a lot of sailing, and Dartmouth was my home port. Also have Kent links, my sister lives near Canterbury ( and is a fab gardener), Bloke's from Kent and at one time lived in Sissinghurst...his garden backed on to the grounds of Sissinghurst Castle. But he's a rubbish gardener!
  • jude5jude5 Posts: 65

Chester (Cheshire) often  favourable weather-wise as we seem to miss the worst of north and south systems, not this week thoughimage

• DaisybirdDaisybird Posts: 12
    Hello, like Daitoum I garden in Newport, south wales - its been a wet and windy week here
  • Paul NPaul N Bearsted, KentPosts: 300

Marion, Loved the t-shirt. I've sent off for one for my wifeimage

• My seeds are very slow to come up this tear in the greenhouse, can anybody put their thinking cap on and have an answer for this.

Also do i need to put vermiculite over  my lobelia and begonia seeds.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802
    les forster wrote (see)

My seeds are very slow to come up this tear in the greenhouse, can anybody put their thinking cap on and have an answer for this.

Also do i need to put vermiculite over  my lobelia and begonia seeds.

Not warm enough is the usual reason -what is it you are trying to grow-is it a heated or cold greenhouse?

A small covering of vermiculite will help to keep the moisture in but allow light through-these are tiny seeds.

• Thats very helpful thank you.I will put the heater back on and put some vermiculite over my lobelia and begonia seeds...image