Welcome to the potting shed

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 55,509

Congratulations!!! image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Wott o! Hello fellow 'umans. Just thought I'd pop in to say hi for my first interaction. Hope we're all well?

Just browsing around for inspiration; next month I'll be shopping for a big pond liner. We are creating a "wildlife half" to our garden. So, bee, butterfly friendly, hedgehog friendly and dragonfly friendly. My father's conservation company owns bees so the provision for them has rubbed off on me hehe.

The hedgies influence because we seem to have one visiting already. image

Good morning Michael and welcome to the forum image

How big's your pond going to be?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I've been trying to work it out because we are not using a pre formed. Liner needs to be 11m x 11m I reckon. Hole will be 2.5m at longest by about 1.7m at widest. Approx 1.20 at deepest. But I'm doing a very "rough" wild style, so a sandy gravely almost beach area as well as deeper shelve area. Overgrown sides, plenty of varying areas to encourage lots of LIFE in general. Reeds some shaded sections too.
  • Lily PillyLily Pilly Central southern Scotland Posts: 3,846

Hi Michael and welcome!

how about some before and after photos?

Weeds are flowers, too, once you get to know them.”
    A A Milne

We've got a small wildlife pond, a bit smaller than yours but not as deep because of the tree roots, but it has a shingle beach, overgrown sides and rushes and lots of other plants.  We made it March 2014 and by last summer we had newts, frogs, toads, grass snakes plus more invertebrates and visiting insects (dragonflies, damselflies, diving beetles etc) than you can shake a stick at image

It's the biggest timewaster in our garden, as we frequently spend hours laying on our tums gazing into the water image

• Good morning Michael, sounds like a lovely plan. image

Gardeners, I think, dream bigger dreams than emperors. – Mary Cantwell
  • Sorry, my manners. Mornin' all! ???? such a happy welcoming bunch u all are.

Yup before and after is a great idea. Hmmmm hadn't considered the wee grass snakes that may say hi... Not Good with snakes unfortunately. Anyways, closer timescale....Im making a bee bed and breakfast today...After I make some breakfast and more tea of course!

The grass snakes will leave you alone Michael, they just want an occasional frog or newt for lunch then they'll disappear again image

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,268

Hi Michael, nice to see a new face,we, like Dove built our wildlife pond last summer and by Spring it was teeming with little creatures , even our first frog spawn.

We bought the liner, with a 30 year gusrantee from Bradshaws, you can get it through Amazon, but its cheaper direct.

They can supply everything you need, most of my plants were through the seed swap thread on here, so it doesnt worknout that expensive.

We did buy a pre formed one first but it nearljy caused divorce! Dont go there!!

Hardest bit is the digging, we had to move a tree because of the roots, nothings straight forward in gardening.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.