Forum home Tools and techniques

Composting?

I have really poor soil so thought it might be a good idea to start composting my vegetable waste from the house. I don’t have space for a large composting unit so want to start small and see how it goes. How long will it take for organic matter to break down? Will I have some for next spring if I start now?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,053

Typical kitchen vegetable waste will break down really quickly - even in days with the right kit, but normally a few weeks at most.  Some kitchen composters need an activator but can compost things other than just veg waste and some trap any smells which may arise so can be kept indoors.  Try a google for "kitchen composter" - there are a lot of options around these days.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Thanks Bob, how about the ones that you keep in the kitchen and add some kind of activating solution to? are they worth the money.

Ive seen some for about £45...

• Found this whilst searching... makes an interesting read not sure how much to read into it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2440183/Dangerous-bacteria-present-compost.html

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 15,330

You could try a small worm bin. If you have a shed or garage it could go in there.How big is your  garden?

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • Not big at all I have a patio area and then a small grassed area, nowhere to hide one of those large compost bins.

I do not have a shed either

I looked at Urban Composter http://www.greenvelvetlawnseed.co.uk/product.asp?product_ID=562

But does it do it any better than a small bin/container?

If all you have is a patio and grass, then I don't see the point. Just bin it.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Need somewhere to get the ads in fbimage

• Well I would like to improve the quality of my borders around my grass, otherwise I would bin it. My soil is awful and my plants don’t do very well at all. I was hoping to improve the quality so that I have better looking flowers come next summer.

Our local council have also suggested composting organic waste would be better than putting it into landfill.

Does the council not have a brown bin scheme?