Zinc planter

I brought 3 lovely black zinc rectangular planters last year which are on my deck with bamboo in them - I was really pleased with them to start with. But this spring I noticed the black 'paint' flaking and peeling off and it's getting worse. They weren't cheap and I'm miffed as to why this has happened. I can't find any answers online and I emailed the company I brought them from but they haven't replied. 

Has anyone else experienced this or is it just me? I'm reluctant to buy any more image

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,491

Hi Stephanie, it's a bit technical but black zinc coating is not corrosion resistant and needs to be protected with a sealant layer, so your planters should have been first zinc plated then treated with a black passivate, then coated with a protective sealant.  It sounds like the sealant layer either wasn't used or has failed and I think you should pursue the company as either they weren't sealed (so not fit for purpose as unsealed black passivate is only suitable for indoors) or something has gone wrong with the sealant layer.  Read more here:

http://www.zink-nickel-kft.com/black-zinc-plating.html

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 19,739

Keep at them Stephanie. Bob's right. If it's not fit for purpose you're entitled to your money back or replacements, although I'd be worried that another set would have the same issue. image

to walk through a forest is to touch the past

• Thanks both, I will keep on at them although I'm not sure what they will do about it know as it's been more than a year since I brought them. Lesson learnt! 

• AtillaAtilla Posts: 1,493

I would check if they are indoor or outdoor planters. I have some black zinc planters from Next that are for indoor use, so I use them to overwinter plants indoors as the weather will take the black coating off.

• AtillaAtilla Posts: 1,493

@Verdun - not if they are designed for internal use!

• Thanks for your reponses....

I brought them in April 2012 and contacted them first about the problem in April 2013 with photos (no reply), so I contacted them again at the weekend (still no reply), although I'm not sure they'll give me the time of day as its getting on for 18 months since I brought them.

I checked the website, although what it said over 12 mths ago, who knows! I'm sure I wouldn't have brought anything that said it was only for indoor use as I spent a lot of time doing my homework before I brought anything. At the moment, the website says 'they will age outdoors over time'.... nothing about the finish flaking off!

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 19,739

Stephanie- if you bear in mind the length of time between buying them and noticing the problem - it means they've only been outside one winter. I know the type of planter you're talking about - in fact , my boss has a group of them (different shape) at the back door of her house and I pass them every day going into work. They've had them several years and there's no paint flaking - they just look slightly bronzy/tarnished if you know what I mean. I don't think they should look the way you describe after being outside for a year.  I'd agree with Verdun. Get on to them again. They shouldn't ignore you - that's appalling service.

We don't complain enough in this country about shoddy goods - we might moan amongst ourselves but we don't complain - and we should. It's the only way standards improve. Get stuck in! image

to walk through a forest is to touch the past