Forum home Talkback

Robin watch

well I have a young robin and it's not afraid of my dogs or me I've just been out watering some of my pots, with me coming into 8 feet of the lovely little robin without him flying off also the dogs where barking and running around, I hope he stays around all winter.

What is the best food for him I have sunflower hearts, mealworms, pea nuts, and wild seed mix.

Also a mixture of bird boxes around the garden 

James

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,351

Robins love mealworms.  Ours also enjoys a mix especially designed for insectivorous birds - there are several brands available - remember that robins aren't good at hanging on feeders like bluetits - they need feeders designed with more perching room or flat feeders. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,158

I find the robins love dried mealworms , worms out of the compost heap, and suet pellets. Mine will feed from the feeders with rings instead of stick perches.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3
  • OK I will glue a pot base to the bottom of my mealworm feeder and move it to were the robin sits (newly cleared wall) by the ivy 

James

• its good that it does fly off as to keep it alert.The young ones are very vunerable because of their need to follow you when digging or poking about in the garden as this is what they use to do or what they do in the wilder places,following pigs or any annimal that is turning the soil so as they can take advantage of getting those worms.They are fearless  rather than friendly!image

• I think my robin has fallen victim to a local cat not seen him since I post this thread on Monday 

I hope I'm wrong but I did a lot of digging yesterday and Friday with lots of worms visible.

As Disney says “circle of life”

James

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,159

James image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,351

It might be that his Pa has driven him away from his territory. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Phew the robin is back on his wall again.

James

• ginagibbsginagibbs Posts: 756

imagewe have blackbirds that follow us around and they enjoyed keeping my "plastic covered walk in green house free of flies this summer!

• Tina_i_amTina_i_am Posts: 173

Phew, glad the robin hasn't been caught by the local cat. Like everyone else has said, they like mealworms and are ground feeders.

Saw one once at a garden centre, happily flying amoung the busy garden shoppers and darting in and out of the garden centre shed. 

And they love hanging around for worms after you've dug your land over.