Very large buddleia - can I prune it right back?

smu06setsmu06set Posts: 2
When we moved into our new house there was a huge buddleia (we're talking over 8ft tall). Can I trim it right back without killing it? It blocks all the light at the moment and would love it to be reduced to a small shrub!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,220

You can cut it back to a few feet now, and then hard down to a foot in March. It will then probably grow to 8 ft again next summer, and flower in August.

If thats too big, take it out and plant either a buddleja Buzz, which is dwarf, or something else altogether.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • Oh I'm happy with just a few feet - and love the butterflies it attracts - so I don't want to remove it just want to tame it!
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,612

I chop them right down to knee height every spring.  image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • I'd wait until Spring to chop it.

I usually cut them back roughly in November, to avoid wind-rock loosening the roots in the winter, then cut them right back as I said, to knee height in the spring - pruning to an outward facing bud and taking out very thin or crossing branches right out.

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • I prune mine hard in March

The groundsmen at work can - but they're the exception that proves every rule image

• I have a tree and two shrubs both 15ft. All three fifteen feet. Can I prune the - live in the N E of Scotland?

• I have just pruned mine today,I prune quite hard ,some people leave it later but I do it now so the seeds dont seed everywhere too much.image