Forum home Talkback

Talkback: How to force rhubarb

Can you force rhubarb that is less than a year old?

• i have been told you can not eat your first crop of rhubarb you have to wait untill your next crop is is true please help ?
  • plantplant Posts: 4
    why do you need to force rhubarb??????
  • yes i agree with you kynanbytes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • yes I've been wondering how to do that although its very early to do it now this is very useful
  • if I force my rhubarb will I get another crop the same year ?
  • Yes i have been doing it for years. a good tip is to use cat manure as it still has alot of unused protein in it which helps with young rhubarb crops. try avoid using it on other plants around the garden though as it could do more harm than good.
  • What causes rhubarb to be " stringy " ?
  • The rhubarb under our forcer is very pale, almost white and doesn't have a lot flavour. Should we remove the forcer for a while before picking it?
  • fuzzy2fuzzy2 Posts: 2
    I have had trouble from slugs and snails over the past few HUNDRED YEARS!! eating my rhubarb - so i end up with nothing, this year i got three plants and only one has survived !!! YEY.. i was told that i only pick a couple of stems this year as not to stunt the growth for next year... I want to keep it and look after my beauty but am always worried about it, can we have a more in depth care section about a particular plant every month?
  • Very useful advice for yearly cultivation! I've enjoyed a full year of superb,rich and bitter sweet

rhubarb after many months of little sun and chronic rainfall! But it is a tough plant and full of flavour!!No need to force growth...