Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Growing fragrant sweet peas

2»

• I love Lilac Ripple and Ethel Grace, which is the quintessential lavender pea. I have been growing sweet peas for years, and probably will until I cannot garden anymore! I love them.
  • I grew T & M 'Early Mammoth' for this year, planting in pots last Autumn and keeping in cold frame until all the frosts had gone. They have been an absolute dream and live up to their name. They started flowering when only about 18 inches high and have not stopped and have reached up the wall to at least 9 feet. They are on the house wall facing South West. Needless to say I have already purchased my seeds of the same, ready for sowing next month.
  • I have been given some sweet pea seeds. One of my neighbours who saddly died two years ago was a sweet pea breeder and judge. Stirling University gardeners had some of his seed and they gave it to me. I hope to grow them next season.
  • Post 15 should be in the blog about plants evoking memories as well. How lovely, Rena, I do hope your seeds are viable and you can get more and distribute them, complete with their provenance.
  • I love Sweat peas, this year was my first year of being a gardener and grew some mixed (cheap) variety and got brilliant results. A whole mix of colours & fantastic scent.

They are still flowering now

Am having a go at sowing some in Autumn with "Jilly"

Will definatley sow some more in Spring

Will definatley
  • Your freebies inspired me to plant them to grow up a trellis attached to my allotment shed. What a roaring success flanked by some Dianthus Doris and strawberrys. Erected to runner wigwams either side and the whole thing is absolutely glorious. My little pretend 'cottage garden' - the smell is glorious and transports me back to my childhood and my dad's garden. I never knew that he grew sweet peas but he must have - equally I never knew I liked them and I don't I LOVE them! To cap it all I am now a finalist in my local allotment association Best Kept Allotment [working class] which place will be announced on 10th September - due I am sure in no small part to this stunning display.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.
  • aeromint. Toilet roll tubes work really well. Indeed some I planted next door on a tray to plastic pots with similar compost grew much better than their plastic cased neighbours.