I planted 150 or so Dianthus in 30 pots at start of Summer. After they had finished flowering I cut them back. They have now begun to develop new foliage & some plants are showing new bud development & signs of re-flowering.

I am a novice where plants are concerned. I thought Dianthus were annuals & where thrown away after they had finished flowering?

Do Dianthus flower every year?

Can I overwinter these plants? If so; How do I do that? I do not have a greenhouse but a relatively frost-free car-port.

If overwintering; Do I water plants throughout winter?

• Pete8Pete8 Posts: 2,842

Hi Billy

That must have been quite a display over the summer!

I'm not a dianthus expert, but have quite a few different varieties in the garden.
    They seem to re-appear every year, but tend to get quite straggly after a couple of years.

When they get straggly, take cuttings (very easy) and you'll have fresh plants for the next few years.

I wouldn't water over the winter months unless they get bone-dry. They prefer very well-drained soil and prolonged wet roots will rot them.
    As far as I know they're very hardy plants and don't need to be frost-free over winter.
    I leave my rooted cuttings in a corner of the patio over winter and plant out the following spring.

Good luck!

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today.
    Because if you do it today and you like it - you can do it again tomorrow.
  • BILLYCBILLYC Posts: 51

Pete8 - Thank you for all the advice.

Verdun - Sorry I wouldn't know how to post a picture I'm hopeless with computers. Anyway I don't think it would help. Plants mostly just green foliage. Bought from B&Q so no specific variety just labeled `Dianthus`.

Thanks for replying anyway.