Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Flying Ants Day

• Lots of flying ants today in Little Paxton Cambs this afternoon!
  • Flying ants in many parts of Leighton Buzzard, Bedfordshire this afternoon, followed by huge flocks of gulls.
  • Flying ants in Totnes, Devon, early evening today
  • We had the swarming yesterday. I know they are beneficial to birds, but I just can't stand having ants come into my house, so I'm afraid i was guilty of the boiling water trick yesterday.
  • OMG !

pouch gall on elm tree
    (Schizoneura languinosa)

have found some of these hideous growths in my golden elm tree - what can I do about it - they are full of aphids...
  • Daisy Rose, it sounds as if you have solitary bees or wasps living in your bird-bath support. Each is a lone female working alone to stock a nest with either pollen/nectar cake (bees) or dead flies (wasps). They are perfectly harmless, and do not attack inquisitive observers; many are even too small to sting through human skin, even if picked up between finger and thumb. And although they may destroy the log, it will take 25-30 years; in the mean time you are providing helpful habitat for them. This information sheet shows something of the larger species http://www.bwars.com/Files 4 downloading/Info_sheets/13_Bee Hotels_1col_infosheet.pdf
    but yours will be the even smaller ones.
  • I saw wasps buzzing flying ants as they swarmed and flew. The wasps seemed to be attacking the ants. It was all very dramatic - reminded me of planes in WWII trying to take off before they were destroyed by the enemy flying in from above. Does anyone have an explanation?
  • What a splendid analogy, Paulkaz. The wasps must have felt threatened in some way. Perhaps it happens all the time in the wild but we do not notice it so much in our over - tidy gardens.
  • Kate

I don't know how to do photos yet!! Very new to this technology. My insects are still with me. Have blogged Richard.

Enjoyed reading about the butterlies, upset about the killing of the caterpillar!!!!
  • Kate and Richard

My insects are leaf cutter bees. Found out on the internet. They are enjoying the leaves of my beans and cranebill, but I DONT CARE!