Anyone had success with growing clover ?

I set aside a small area to grow some white clover for the bee-friendly flowers, and partly for soil improvement. Sown in Spring but didn't actually get many flowers at all just lots of large green leaves.

Should I dig it in yet, and would it be better to try an autumn sowing now ?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,111

if you leave it, trim it low,say 2 inch , it will probably flower next year. my lawn is more white clover than grass. If left it will flower.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • Hi Fidgetbones - I grew two lovely clumps of red clover in my wildflower garden.

They flowered a long time and had huge flowers and leaves and were much

taller than the white clover in my lawn.  I tried to gather the seeds, but what

I seem to have looks a bit like stringy tobacco and I haven't any idea whether

there are seeds in there or not.  Have you any idea what the seeds look like?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,064

Hi ffb,the stringy tobacco is dead petals, the seeds are mini beans and rattle when they land in a collecting tub like a margerine pot.

My lawn - a little grass, lots of clover, moss, cat's ear, selfheal and all other weeds does flower. I have be careful when barefoot, bees don't respond well to being trodden on.

• AtillaAtilla Posts: 1,493

You can have the ones in my borders and lawn...image

• Hi Nutcutlet,

Thanks for telling me that - looking again at my red clover I don't think I have

any mini beans, just dead petals!  Wonder where I went wrong? Maybe  I tried

to harvest it too soon?  I'm going to PM you in a few minutes (hopefully!)image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,064

hi ffb, you have and I've answered

• Thanks Nutcutlet!image