Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Growing veg in containers - garden pests

• I have just found this blog which really seems to be buzzing and intend to stay. I didn't know about the essential oils and so will take that on board. Thanks. I too bought a buddleia bush but the flowers are not there yet and some of the bottom leaves are a bit yellow so I am unsure whether it is too wet or too dry. Complete beginner I'm afraid. I live in Ireland and the weather can be very troublesome so we are a bit behind I think. Also living here with all this rain we could have a constant slug party. I am forever checking the cabbage at the mo but they do sometimes beat me.
  • Thanks for all the tips etc. Has anyone any suggestions on dealing with earwigs? They are eating my lettuces to bits.
  • I have noticed that my cranebill(with purple flowers) have finish flowering. It has taken over a large area, tne leaves look as if something is drilling little holes. I am going to cut them back. What insect is causing it? Can anyone help?
  • Hi we got an allotment this year and ive started growing carrots whilst i was wattering ive noticed what looks like tiny brown eggs on the edges of the leaves ive looked at alot of sites about pests and alot of them are just about carrot root fly and i cant see anything like what i have got can anybody help?
  • Hi All,
    As many others I try to let nature do it's thing generally and hope that over time the balance in the garden will be such that I don't lose too many plants to bugs! I suppose this may seem a little naive but I build wild life areas for a reason and so far I have several toads making use of log piles and piles of old stones, last summer we had a grass snake visit and over the last couple of weeks we have had swarms of lady birds! My only real loss so far this year were some corn flowers which I planted in the wild flower meadow as plugs (the slugs feasted on these like they were going out of fashion!) The next two lots of corn flower plugs I grew on and planted out when they were much bigger, so far (touch wood) they seem ok!.....as the garden is only just over a year old I'm hoping that the bio diversity will get better and better as the years go on??

http://higgysgardenproject.blogspot.com/

Higgy
  • OH, Higgy50, the biodiversity certainly will and you will be rewarded for your care. I try not to be smug when I hear of people's woes like your tale of your cornflowers but I found out many years ago that slugs and pigeons love anything lush and green and try to put my plants out well grown. Did you get to visit the Botanic garden in Bristol yesterday? I was tied up on the West Terrace weeding all day so I saw little of the visitors. The Garden is where you will see biodiversity par excellence with its plants from many parts of the world as well as native plants and very beautiful it looks too. Even our common English daisy, ground ivy and the scarlet pimpernel look lovely when grown in bulk with appropriate neighbours!!
  • Dear All
    like a previous letter blogger I've just discovered this site - so far so good!
    Recently I moved from a 4th floor apartment to a 2nd floor apartment 2 streets away.
    Problem is with ants. I didn't have any for almost 8 years and now in the new place I spotted some on leaves and crawling along the floor and top of the balcony railing. They appear to be black with a red or reddish rear end! Those I pick off get squashed [by fingers] but am I doing them an injustice? Should I just let them get on with it? However I do find it odd and have no idea where they come/came from or where they go!
    Any ideas? Couldn't find anything on ants on this site.
    Many Thanks
    J
  • ps... thanks to the lady from Essex I'm going to try the peppermint spray.
    nb.... I live in Nice S.France and the weather is v.humid at the moment overcast and storms threatened.
  • jardineadomicile, ants hate the smell of oranges so save all your orange peel,cut ie into very small pieces and sprinkle them round your balcony, especially where they are entering. Also, they love anything sweet(except oranges)so make sure there is no sugar around.
  • have planted veg for first time, the leaves on my cabbages and brussell sprouts have holes in them, would it be slugs or perhaps catterpillers, any ideas?