Perennials planting time

Hi, I'm having a path and patio laid in my garden, after which I intend to plant up a few perennials beds.

I was hoping it would be done by now so perfectly in time for autumn planting but it's been delayed.

How late into autumn would it be better to wait til spring? if early Nov should I wait til March?

I'm particularly keen to do the full sun, slightly sloping, south facing site as that's need a lot of water nest year if plants not established. Let's call this site A.

There's two others: B west, part shade. C east, full sun.

Would be grateful for your thoughts on timing and whether you'd think differently for sites A, B and C.

Thanks!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,063

depends what they are and how big they are. I dig up, split up, plant things and fiddle around on good days right through the winter. 

But some things I'd leave til spring.

What have you got? 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,063

It's time we were out there in the garden Verdunimage

Lovely day here.

see you laterimage

• Cheers guys.  Plants not been bought yet- needling to hurry up if going for this year.  It'll be small shrubs, eg hebes, small rhododendrons, abelia, plus some fillers such as crocosmia, iris, echinacea...  Generally going for hardy low maintenance. 

Your comments make me think it'll be ok.  I hope to get going by end Oct. A and B are at the higher end of the garden so will be warmer. 

• Oh yes, please do recommend small shrubs! I'm rather overwhelmed (and excited!) by the blank canvas and amount of choice! I'm looking for things up to, say 80cm, and smaller, and bushy habit.

Am I right in thinking that the echinacea will be short lived anyway, so will need replacing? I just like them, so what to give them a go.

My thoughts are to get a wide variety of shrubs and see what does well and then adjust from there.

im also planning to get bare root ground cover roses to cover a small but steep bank around the patio - so it's nestled in roses.

Very excited, but very short on time (work full time and a mum).  

• Soil is clay. Rhodendrons, azalea and pieris growing well elsewhere in garden. Not yet done test of new site but intend to see if its acid enough for calluna.  

Id come across pittosporum TT last night online so good to get a recommendation, ta.

i like lavenders, and cotton lavender too, and thymes.  But not sure if soil too heavy. I intend to push one or two in and see how they go. Rescue and pot up if not happy.

ive started trying to draw.  Just doing "shapes" at mo, to try to avoid straight lines.  It's a gentle slope so how to do the heights is less obvious! Any tips gratefully received!

i like that the two beds either side of the patio will be roughly symmetrical but because one full side and one part shade will have different plants. Good fun to plan.