Forum home Talkback

Lawn Grubs

Could someone please help me with regards to lawn grubs.  These little mounds appear this time of year in my lawn and has done so for the last 3 years. I really do not know what to do to stop them and would appreciate any advise.  Thank you.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,451

These are worm casts and indicate that the soil under your lawn is healthy and being aerated by the worms who will also drag down vegetable matter into the soil which will decay and fertilise the soil and improve the soil structure.  

There is no need to stop them  - just sweep over the lawn with a besom or similar (like a witches broom from Harry Potter) before mowing and be thankful that you have them.  

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Hi all, many thanks for the replies, but guess what, they are little black slug like things, I hosed the area where I have the problem then these little black slugs appeared, any idea what I have to use to control them or even better, get rid of them???????? image

These might be 'leather jackets' as described by Verdun - do they look like these?

They'll have been living in the soil beneath your lawn eating the roots of the grass, and because you've 'flooded' the lawn they've come up for air - the birds will be grateful.

I still think the 'little mounds' you describe are worm casts.  Anything here look familiar?

https://www.google.com/search?q=worm+casts&rlz=1C1SVEE_enGB425GB425&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=7dg-UpvkBKXQ0QWIi4HADg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1092&bih=514&dpr=1

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,567

a photo would be helpful

Hi All, this is what I thought was a slug, sorry about the picture but new to all of this lol x

????? 

No idea image

Anyone???