Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Growing dwarf French beans

• Just picked my first dwarf beans today from greenhouse border! I grow safari beans really small bushy plants outside, with lots beans-rather larger plants in greenhouse.
  • I planted broad beans in my raised bed in March. They seemed to be growing quite well, but lately I have noticed that some of the stems around the top of pods are turning black. Does anyone know the reason for this?. I would realy be grateful as it would be a shame not to get a crop, after such a good start what with the early summer we had back in April.
  • I have a good crop of dwarf french beans growing in a tub.Can any one tell me why they are curling up?
  • I am glad I never put my young plants out we had slight frost this morning.
  • I have grown dwarf french beans for the first time this year in my greenhouse. They are in 10" pots in multipurpose compost and did look very strong and healthy. However I have noticed that the leaves are curling slightly and they appear to be taking on a mottled(yellow) look. I keep them moist and the temperatures are good. I wondered what would be causing the leaves to look this way and what the cure would be! Thanks. Christine
  • figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    It could be that you are keeping them too moist. Have you been feeding them?
  • LisaJLisaJ GlasgowPosts: 48

I quite fancied the idea of giving french beans a go but would I be too late if I sowed them now?  There's always next year.  image

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    No you'll be fine to sow them now.
  • LisaJLisaJ GlasgowPosts: 48

Yay!  More veg for my husband not to like.  image

• Grew my Frech beans from seed and planted out in early June. They took a long time to grow and thicken out. The beans look heathy and I have sprayed with soapy solution to keep the bugs away. They have produced some flowers but as of the middle of August - no appearance of any beans. Am I just being impatient.

Waldy