Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Wasps

I am not particularly a wasp fan..but they don't bother me particularly ( unlike my husband who is a sight to behold when a wasp comes within 50ft of him )...can you tell me what is their actual purpose in life?? as I truly do not know !! cheers !!

• please can you tell me how i can stop them from consuming my wooden balcony thanks :-)
  • They help to control aphids, they are carnivorous so good for gardeners.
  • In answer to Margo's query, wasps are part of the great, big, biodiverse picture. Their "purpose in life" is the same as ours: to live, eat, reproduce and die :)

Oh, and along the way, they do consume a number of creatures that are harmful to humans' crops!
  • margo, without wasps we would be plagued by flies and spiders which they feed to their young. Your husband should learn to stay calm(good for his blood pressure) as they only sting when feeling threatened. In the autumn, put out a jamjar with some jam in it and the workers and males will feed on this and leave him alone.
  • Wasps also pollinate flowers so are useful in that way. I didn't know they are carnivorous and eat aphids so, I will leave them alone in future.
  • I'm a fan of wasps and hornets although some friends recently were a little freaked out at my feeding them jam on my finger-tips so that they could enjoy their cream tea in peace!

I was overjoyed when I saw a queen hornet chewing on a fence in the garden the other day as I'd feared I'd left them behind when I moved from Surrey.

Wasps have a vital role to play - if you want pointless, what's Katy Price for?
  • many thanks everyone for the inforrmation, I genuinly didn't realise they were so helpful...
    Jane..I always believe everything has it's place in this world...sadly The Hubbie isn't quite so understanding (he is HIGHLY allergic to stings btw..hence the "anti-wasp dance")
    Happymarion ...nice idea re; the jam jar..but I think he would presume I'd been upping the life insurance policy(and he already has BP issues so too late on that one)
    Wildman...lol
    Cheers everyone
    xxxx
  • My honeybees aren't so fond of them when they start raidng their hives for honey. They can sting many times but the poor bee dies with its first defensive sting.They are great catchers of other flying insects and on balance are beneficial ( and wear our county colours).
  • Heh! If they help control Aphids then I am definitly up for a visit from the wasps. New growth on my Roses have been visited already by green aphid. So far have conrolled them with a soapy water spray. I will leave the wasps be if they help out ;-)

http://mobiletechandgardening.blogspot.com/2011/05/50-foot-green-aphids-are-back.html

Cheers

m
  • I always hated wasps until we were eating outside and watched one carefully bite off a piece of meat and fly away with it, then came back for more. This went on for some time and we were absolutely fascinated. We were not attacked by them at all while we sat quietly watching. So, don't flap - just watch!