Hedges

Hello

This is my first thread so hear goes;

I want to start by planting a screening hedge 5-6ft high along the the boundary fence,Looking at the sewer and water pipes on a authority map it shows a sewer pipe also runs along the boundary line.I have looked at Red Robin and Hornbream but have become totally confussed what my options are.Can anyone suggest a shrub or hedge that will not affect the sewer pipe and is fast growing.

• XX Posts: 707

Any idea how deep it is Tarzan?  Not known of anyone have problems planting anything on boundaries, must be pipes all over the place....

• Looking down the man hole cover the clay sewer pipe runs directly along the boundary into the road at about 4ft - 5ft deep.The pipe is about 6 inches wide and i am worried about the roots breaking into the pipe and causeing a blockage and damage to the pipework,

• Have you considered boxwood shrubs?

A Green Velvet Boxwood grows about 4-6 feet upon maturity and also fast growing. Best for growing zones 5-8. Since the mature width is 3-5 feet, I don't think the roots can reach and damage the pipes. But i'm not sure though. It's just my guess. I never heard anyone having problems with pipes when it comes to shrubs. 

http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/Green-Velvet-Boxwood.htm

• Thanks Blissful gardener will have a look at your link thanks again

• XX Posts: 707

I think you'd be fine Tarzan, it's not like you are planting trees that will get huge with age and have massive root systems.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 19,749

Tarzan- just make sure you're buying from a British nursery for your hedging...

some of these posts are advertising- and not from this country.image

You shouldn't have any problem with pipes with any hedging you pick. As Paula says- it's really only an issue with mature trees. Hopes Grove Nursery are a good hedge supplier. I've used them in the past and I've just ordered some bare root hedging from them for this winter. Just google the name and you'll find them easily. 

to walk through a forest is to touch the past

• Thanks everyone for your responses.Thanks again

• Have you considered beech?  Retains it's dead leaves through the winter so adds more interest than an evergreen.  Or a native mix - beech, hawthorn, hazel etc

As others have said, as the hedging is going to be restricted in height, you don't have same concerns with depth as you would with planting trees. 

• Thanks MamboMouse.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,727

I love a holly hedge - and good for wildlife too image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !