Forum home Problem solving

Strange fungus in house plant.

I discovered this yesterday growing in my umbrella tree , Would really like to know what type of fungus it is and how it got there as this plant has never been outside. Does anyone think it could be poisonous ? Will don the marigolds to remove it , just in case. Don't like it.image

Thanks in advance,








  • waterbuttswaterbutts Posts: 1,214

    Hello Jean Genie

    There are a surprisingly large number of fungi that look like this, some of which are edible and some of which are not. It will be getting its nutrition from the compost probably. The spores will have been lying dormant in there and will have started to grow thanks to the nice warmth and moisture that you have been providing.

    You will be glad to know that it is not one of the most deadly poisonous types of mushroom. It is probably just inedible rather than poisonous so you are at no risk from it.

    You can leave it there and it will die down in a few days anyway. The mushroom that you see is the equivalent of a flower on a plant. The main part of the fungus is below the surface of the compost.





  • Jean GenieJean Genie Posts: 1,724

    Thanks for replying Waterbutts. It is no more, I've removed it now as I didn't want it spreading its spores any further.

    It's a relief to know it's not poisonous but I expect it will pop up again next year so will re-pot the plant and see if I can get rid of the spores that are in the compost

    I was concerned about it damaging the plant as it's over 30 years old and would hate to lose it - I don't know anything at all about fungus

    Feel better about it now,

    Thanks. image.

Sign In or Register to comment.