Planting red robin Photina

Morning all,

I'll attach a couple photos underneath. I have have 50 odd red robin Photina to plant, the idea is to make a nice thick hedge. They have arrived with established roots in their pots. I am new to shrubs so have a few questions:

- The plants are very varied, some like the first photo have little leaf and I'll plant as is and others might have 2 shoots making an extreme 'V' pointing out either side - kind of like the second photo but on both sides. Should I prune these more extreme ones in anyway as I plant? Or shall I leave them and prune in the spring? In either case could you describe where to prune?

- Theres a public path on one side where these will go, how far in should I plant these to be fair on passers by? I want to lose as little garden as possible but dont want to annoy people so am happy to keep the hedge thin once established.

- In terms of spacing I think a foot between each should be about right?

Thankyou!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 11,271

I hope they were cheap. They don't look very good specimens.

It's not a mess, it's a nature reserve.
  • Yes they were, I'm gardening on a budget this year sadly. Would you chop off the longer shoots now and then reevaluate late spring?

The RHS advise against pruning after August. New shoots will be damaged by frost.  Plant in a well prepared soil, and prune down in spring. Look at this site for more details.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=145

That doesn't seem to link . Its a web search for RHS , Photinia Red Robin.

• Thankyou image I will pot some spares for sure. What would be the most cost effective thing to use as a wind break? Not sure what to ask for at the local garden centre.

• raymaiseyraymaisey Posts: 1

I want to plant a red robin in pot for the time being - can I use ericaceous compost?