Acer palmatum

Have a 3 high feet Acer palmatum established for about 5 years in the garden. What are the prospects for successfully transferring the shrub to another position in the same garden.

• XX Posts: 707

I'd wait till it has shed it's leaves over autumn, just make sure you take a reasonable sized root ball and wherever you replant it make sure it's not a cold, windy spot as it will suffer and give it some TLC over the following year. I repotted one about the same size back into the same pot - pulled it out, trimmed the roots by about 25%, trimmed about one third off of the top growth and repotted it with fresh compost and its doing perfectly well this year so far.

• SingySingy Posts: 206

I helped my dad move one last week, it was a similar size, we dug about 3 foot across  (1.5 foot each side of the main stem) and lifted it into the new position, first time i have moved one, but all seemed to go well and my dad has moved other like this in the past.

• KT53KT53 Posts: 2,143

Branches can be fragile so be careful when moving it.  Any lost branches will take a long time to grow back - if they ever do.

The people re-modelling our back garden said they would move mine, I was going to do it myself.  They smashed all the centre out of it and I can't see it ever recovering.

• Many thanks for all your advice. 

Will proceed with caution when the leaves are fallen taking as large a root as possible to a well prepared and sheltered site.