ROUND UP GEL

Posted this in the wrong spot i.e. Talkback; so here it is again!

Bindweed from a neighbouring garden has wrapped itself around my pampas grass - I've tried pulling the weed out but its difficult and very unkind to hands and takes forever; my vocabulary has however benefitted from the exercise.   Is Round up gel a good option?   I've not used Round up in any form and would appreciate your advice.

Many thanks,

• XX Posts: 707

It does work Pinkpeony but it does take a good few weeks to show any effect but useful if you have bindweed caught up in other plants.

• I think that when plants die back in autumn they draw any nutrients back into the roots, if you use glyphosate (gel or spray form) now it should still work.

• RHS; 'Hormone weedkillers are foliar-acting and translocated, moving down into the weeds’ roots when applied to the foliage.'

Glyphosate is a systemic herbicide

RHS; 'The most effective time for spraying glyphosate is mid- to late summer when the weed has a large surface area.'

RHS link; http://www.rhs.org.uk/media/pdfs/advice/WeedkillersForGardeners

• pinkpeonypinkpeony Posts: 95

Wow, Paula H, Verdun and Fleurisa - thank you for all the information.  I have decided to 'train' the bindweed (there's plenty of it) and then blitz with gel/spray.  My guess is that this will become a new hobby as I have discoverered more bindweed growing through other shrubs all in the same well established and fairly crowded area of the garden.  Only a couple of weeks 'off' and bindweed rules - will it ever go away??

Fleurisa, thanks too  for the  RHS link - I am a relatively new gardener so help and advice from this forum is always welcome.

Thanks again.