Hey, a friend of mine's pony has recently digested a plant which we've been unable to identify so far and the pony appears to have suffered a bad reaction to said plant, if anyone could identify the said plant you'd be a big help, thanks in advance!
Can you tell us anything about the plant? colour of flowers, is it growing in grass. Have you a photo that shows the leaves?
Am I right in thinking that the leaves at the bottom of the picture do not belong to the plant but are part of some other plant?
The main image looks suspiciously like Oxford ragwort, Latin name Senecio squalidus. It is poisonous to horses and should always be pulled up if horses are to be kept nearby.
Thanks for your replies, she's just getting some more pics as i type. Don't think its Ragwort as that's a known no no around horses as you say, so she reckons she'd regonize it if that were the case. Will post another pic shortly.
Hopefully these help!
Still lookin' Rick!
could be meadow sweet, often found in ditches and damp places, Would that fit?
It does look similar, nut, but all the info I can see about meadowsweet suggests that it isn't toxic to horses.
Maybe this wasn't the culprit.
Perhaps, hopefully it'll sought itself out. Thanks for you time and effort regardless. Hopefully he'll be ok, will post some updates on his condition in the future.
Good luck. I never knew that there were so many poisonous plants for horses to sink their teeth into.