Forum home Talkback

National Collections

Hi all,

Recently I've started thinking about starting a national collection of Echinacea. a absolutely love them and they have so many plus points!

I wanted some advise really as to how:

1) You go  about starting a collection 

2) What different cultivwoul species it would have to include 

3) If I could do it in my back gardens?

Thanks in advance, Ryan

• *cultivars/ species

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,568

http://www.nccpg.com/National-Collections.aspx

Plant Heritage is the organisation you need to contact Ryan

• verdun i bought two tomato soup for my hot bed from tatton show, do you think it was cold or wet or both that caused them to wither away i also have flame thrower have you got that and has it survived.

should i take them in to the greenhouse

thank you in advance Ann

• Nut - Thankyou, just had a look and it does seem a bit confusing, it doesn't actually tell you how to set one up, or Atleast I didn't acknowledge it :P

Verdun - I chose echinacea because I grow: Purpurea (Magnus and white swan) and echinacea augustifolia - Then there's the amount it helps bees and butterflies, they always look great and they're vibrant and I think my nans garden is the perfect spot to grow them, it's in full sun, free draining soil and is sheltered from wind etc

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Don't want to discourage Ryan, but there already seems to be a National Collection of echinaceas.  Why do you not visit it and pick the brains of the man that has it?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,568

There's a lot of work and organisation involved in an NC. More than growing a lot of them. 

• thanks verdun the plants were good big ones and have been in the garden since july so iwill hope they come through the winter